Monday, April 29, 2013

Only The Lonely....

How can anyone feel lonely in 2013? I mean it is the year of social media. You can be in contact with many people instantly through Facebook alone not to mention Twitter and email. And yet isn't it interesting that people seem more lonely than ever? Because the touch of the electronic is no substitute for the human touch. Looking into someones eyes as you share your soul cannot ever replace looking into a computer screen. Seeing in the eyes reflection the understanding, the confirmation, the affirmation or the correction you may be seeking.

A dear kindred spirit of a friend recently forwarded me a post on I Take Joy, a blog by Sally Clarkson, that talked about lonliness and friendship and mentoring. That same day another post on A Holy Experience was titled, "When you are weary of vanilla christianity."

I wonder dear hearts if that is not where true lonliness resides? For those of you who do not have a relationship with Christ, you have a loneliness inside only He can ease. For those of you who do have a relationship with Christ, I wonder if your loneliness (like mine) comes from the desire for friends who are tired of vanilla christianity too? A desire for the conversation to start with Christ and for that common thread to weave throughout the time and not just the latest on such and such TV show.

When you are home with four children and especially when one is a baby you are tethered quite close to home. I try to relish the time quite frankly because having four I know all too quickly the baby will soon be toddling, and then running and then wanting their toes polished or to ride around the block all by themself. That being said though, gosh, anyone needs time with a true friend. A true friend in Christ.

I have one such friend that is moving soon. As Anne, in Anne of  Green Gables desires, this friend is a true bosom friend. We met at a homeschool convention when I had two children and she had two children. Our kids played and we each had our third child very close together. My fourth came along and we moved across town and life got busy and I missed my bosom friend. Now she is moving to Ohio!  I envision many late night calls.

Before she moves though, we have lots of early morning Starbucks or Panera coffee dates to attend to. Or as it has turned out late nights noshing and chatting on my couch!

Ann I will miss you but know you have a great adventure awaiting you :) I can't wait to come and see your old stomping grounds and my phone will always be on and waiting in the meantime. Love you friend :)

You have been the sprinkles on the vanilla christianity in my life !



No comments:

Post a Comment